Mobile Banking Security FAQ
How is my sign-in and account information protected?
For your security, only the first four characters of your user name will be displayed. The rest of the characters will be masked. You will need to enter your password each time you access the mobile application. The Bank of New Glarus® mobile banking apps do not store your password. To further verify your identity, one or more of your security questions may be presented when you sign in. The Bank of New Glarus® mobile banking apps do not store the answers to security questions.
Is my personal or financial information stored in my phone?
No. The Bank of New Glarus® mobile banking apps do not store any personal information such as email, phone number or address. Likewise, none of your financial information is stored on your phone. Your information is only sent through our secure channels when you sign in and request it. Upon logging out, your financial data will not remain in your phone unless you save it somewhere yourself.
Is my information safe while it’s being transmitted between the bank and my phone?
Yes. Your personal information is safe with us.
- We use advanced encryption and monitoring technology.
- We secure your accounts with your unique User ID, password, picture of your choice and security questions.
- We never request personal information through email.
- And we never store your personal banking information on your mobile device.
What if I click on another app and forget that I’m signed into mobile banking?
You should always sign out of our mobile app or web site when finished using it. If you forget, our mobile banking app will time out after a few minutes of inactivity. You’ll just need to sign back in when you want to re-access your account.
What if I lose my phone?
For your general protection, you should always lock or password-protect your mobile device so that only you can unlock it.
If your device is lost or stolen, please review your account activity and contact us immediately regarding any suspicious transactions. To safeguard your account access, we recommend that you change your user name and password upon your next sign in.
What else can I do to help ensure my safety while using mobile banking?
- Download The Bank of New Glarus mobile banking app only from the App Store on Apple Devices or Google Play on Android devices.
- Update the app, from time to time, with the most recent version of the app. As we update security features and add new features, you’ll want to have the most current version.
- Always sign out after you’re done using mobile banking.
- Do not use public Wi-Fi while accessing your bank accounts.
- Do not email or text message any personal information or log-in credentials.
What should I do before I dispose of my mobile device?
Whether donating it, giving it to someone, reselling it or throwing it out – you should wipe your phone of all information instead of merely deleting files. The easiest way to do this is to use your device’s “factory reset” function. This function varies among devices. Check your owner’s manual or manufacturer’s website.
What if I no longer wish to use mobile banking?
Simply uninstall the app from your mobile device.
What are some other ways to keep my information safe?
Consider the following:
- Download anti-malware protection for your phone, tablet, e-reader or any other device that has mobile access to the Internet. This software should be able to scan the device, identify and remove malware, plus check applications for malware before downloading from application stores.
- Do not root or jailbreak your mobile device to get around limitations set by your carrier or device manufacturer. It will remove any protections built into the device to defend against mobile threats.
- Beware of everything you download onto your smartphone, especially applications. Only use reputable application markets, such as the App Store and Google Play. Look at the developer's name, check out reviews and star ratings. Always check the permissions an application requests and ensure that the permissions the application requests match the features the application provides.
- Frequently delete all text messages that may contain personal information.